Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Glad I'm Here 4th

The other day, the Senate just missed passing a bill (or perhaps it was a resolution -- I can't remember School House Rock too well) which would have banned the burning of the American Flag. If I recall correctly, they missed by one vote.

In 1979, I remember my father being a disappointed that the Equal Rights Amendment was dieing as two-thirds of the states did not ratify it within the required time. (I am sure that my mother was disappointed as well, but it apparently struck a cord as my father's disappointment was a sting to the proverbially extendend helping hand and doing a just-do-the-right-thing-because-it-is-the-right-thing)

So, anyway, the flag amendment did not pass the US Sentate's floor.

I say "Well done. "

One thing that I love about this country is that people can do things which I might not be able to stand and as long as they aren't hurting anyone else, they can do/say what they want. I am crazy-happy that a blog that I might write will not cause the internal police to visit my house, I am psyched that my opinion . . . no matter how different from my neighbor . . . will be considered by that neighbor without repructions to either me or that neighbor -- We can speak over the fence freely and openly.

Lucky, Lucky, Lucky.

So as our country celebrates #230, I say "Speak your Voice, Speak It Well. Speak it from the heart and the brain and surely know that good and wise words will be gathered and they will grow." Posted by Picasa

No comments: