Tuesday, May 16, 2006

An Engineer looks at Noah

I've recently been reading a book about math and numbers.

This book makes a couple of assumptions then postulates an outcome that causes me (the engineer) to say (cleverly) "humh?" One of the stories is about Noah and the storm.

It rained for 40 days and nights. There was no place for the dove to land, therefore, all of the mountains in the world were covered.

So, given these starting points and assumming (conservatively) that the tallest mountain in the area was (say) 15,000 feet above sea-level; it must have rained 15,000 feet of rain in 40 days -- or about 15.62 feet of rain per hour.

Said another way, every hour for forty days, New Orleans deepest flood was created and surpassed.

I am not taking a stand either way as I (like Fox Mulder) want to believe.

[Hey, what happened to the fresh water fish?]

But the Creator gave me me, just as I am, for a reason. That is a lot of rain, isn't it.

No comments: