Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Conflicting Emotions


A couple of weekends ago, I experienced conflicting emotions that I had not endured since puberty.


On the Thursday of this week, I noticed that some of our cutting knives just weren't (well) cutting it. As I tried to pop one of the old Kroger balloons and really had to dig into the rubber to make it pop, I sturdied my stand that to be safer: "Knives should be sharp."


I spent about ten minutes sharpening each of our black-handled, wooden sheathed knives.


Cut to Saturday evening. Romantic. The kids are at a friend's house (yes all four of them, but that is another story in miracles). We are away from Cincinnati for the weekend in a rustic, but posh cabin. The kind of place where a couple cannot go on a first date as the bedroom is the living room, is the shower, and is the fireplace area. All rooms are intimate. All places are romantic.


I have done some homework here and have packed some crackers, three varieties of cheese, some wine . . . and have even obtained some taste-contrasting apples.


The fire is warm. The evening is still. The iPod plays some background music.


It is good.


I am using the knives. I am cutting the apples. I am slicing the cheese. . .


The knife slips.


Kim's sits up quickly, eyes open wide, looking at me and my thumb.


"Right now, I am in a conflicted emotion . . . I don't know whether to be happy about the time wasted sharpening the knives or to be happy that I did such a poor job sharpening them."


10-digit Dave's evening continued . . .


No comments: